Mark's WindLog for Monday December 26, 2005

23rd session in 2005
Sailed at BIB
Wind from the S (mph)
        Lulls: 10
        Average: 19
        Gusts: 25
Rated a 7 of 10

Board: C145
Sail: 7.2 Ezzy Infinity
Fin: Curtis Weed 44cm
Suit: O'Neill 3/2 Evolution
Water Temperature: 68 F
Air Temperature: 75 F

I got to meet Mike Murphy for the first time (nice guy). He came up to me and commented how shallow it was. He told me I should watch out for the sandbars and over by the island. Having broke my leg in Hatteras hitting a sandbar at full speed (mid gybe), this is not the kind of news I wanted to hear. But I was so stoked to get out on the water, it didn't matter that much. I thought I would go with the Cross117 (since it has a smaller fin) and use a big sail. Water was near dead flat with small ripples and tiny wavelets. Mike went out on a 5.3 Ezzy Infinity. I went with a 7.2 Ezzy Infinity. He was planing, and I was schloging. Sometimes it just sucks being big. I did catch one puff and planed back in. I was downwind a little of the launch site, but not that big of a walk back to the car to switch boards. I have read Mike's reports on his log (since he sails this venue almost every day), and he talks about holey conditions here. I have really never seen that here before. Coming from Lake Travis, I usually say to myself, "you have no idea what holes are like my friend". But from noon to 1pm there were holes. It was frustrating to me big time. I would work hard to get on a plane, but then I couldn't keep it going though the hole and I would fall off the plane. Repeat that over and over. I was working so hard to get on a plane I was losing ground downwind again. Frustrating. Then the wind finally picked up. I was planing through the holes and gaining ground upwind to catch up with the pack. The best wind was on the other side, closer to the island. I was never overpowered on the 7.2 and I did not stop at all until 3:45p. That is when I got greedy. Most of the good guys were gybing back midway out. They were missing some of the best gusts further out. Not at all feeling overpowered, I was not going to let that good wind go to waste. It was really good, then all of a sudden, while screaming on a plane, I heard this loud crunching and scraping noise. Oh shit. I started to pull my feet out of the straps to step off. That is when the board abruptly stopped, and threw me 20 feet forward of it. I was fine (my feet let go this time). As I walked up to the board, I knew my fin would be toast ( who cares I can JB Weld that), but I was worried about my Tuttle box. I flipped the board over and saw the fin was torqued, with the back of the base jammed inside the cavity. I forcefully popped the fin back into position and sailed it back in as fast as I could, and I quickly got the board out of the water. Because the cavity is black, and the sun was starting to set, I could not really inspect it well. Fortuntately, a cursory check with my finger makes me feel I dodged a major bullet. I still need to look at it more closely later today. Other than having to quit sooner than expected, it was again worth the 8 hours of driving in a day. It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day. You always feel like you are stealing one this time of year. Morale: Always listen (closely) to the locals!!