Mark's WindLog for Tuesday March 06, 2007 , 10:00p - 5:00p

6th session in 2007
Sailed at Aruba
Wind from the E (mph)
        Lulls: 10
        Average: 20
        Gusts: 28
Rated a 8 of 10

Board: JP 136 Super Sport
Sail: 6.4 NP Excess
Water Temperature: 78 F
Air Temperature: 80 F

Started the day with a trip to the car rental place. I had to wait until they fixed the window (instead of getting a new car), which gave me lots of time to fill out the insurance forms...for them. $62 more for the CC. When I got back to SBV, everyone wanted to know why I blew off video analysis last night...asked if I was partying. WooHoo. Winds were lighter, so I tried a 136 liter JP Super Sport and a 6.9 NP Saber. It had a massive fin. It really made the morning fun as I could get going well in the gusts. In the afternoon, I took the same size gear out but it was a different, and the boom was slipping on the mast. Andy was helping adjust it when the lever cracked and the cleat shot out. I limped back to the rental center, and they gave me a 6.4m2 Excess. I wanted bigger, but I did not want to complain since we just busted the boom fitting. It turned out to be a good thing. The wind did pick up late. It was getting hard to keep the nose down when planing upwind. On one pass, I was really hauling ass and passed a really good sailor. That is when the fin started to lift and then air started to get under. I was getting the most nasty high speed tailwalk. Next thing I know, I was hurled at the top of the mast with incredible force. I luckily got my arms up to protect my face just in time. Man, that hurt. Later, I was doing gybes and clew first waterstarts (butt gybes) for video Andy was taking at the end of the day. I was outside where the winds were strong. I was hauling into my last gybe with good speed, but killed it carving too tight. I completed the gybe, but the board spun out at the end. The wind had really had picked up, but I could not get the board to bear off for some reason. It felt like a non-planing spinout. I was getting tired as it did it over and over again after multiple waterstarts. I was drifting further and further out, when I figured it out. I felt under the board, there was no fin! I did the distress signal, and luckily Andy saw me as he was heading in with his camera. A boat came and picked me up. The finbox was gone too! I swear, no bump, thud, nothing! Shit! They told me $45 that was the basic charge. I was worried as hell they were going to tell me I bought the board. I was relieved, but maybe I hallucinated, and misunderstood her thick Dutch accent. She probably said $450. Jill will be pissed if that is the case. What can I do? Time for a few Aruban beers.